Research Development Lead
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust
This job is now closed
As core member of the R&I Support team, you will have strong communication skills, with a solid understanding of research methodologies and governing frameworks. You will be a valued source of guidance for those without, but seeking to develop their research ideas. You will be responsible for overseeing the growing portfolio of successful grant funded studies, and supporting researchers of the future on their clinical academic career pathways.You will be expected to proactively network with our local HEI's, other Trusts and NIHR infrastructure, and other collaborators to foster "home grown" research for the benefits of our communities. Working closely with the Sponsorship, Quality & Governance, and Financial colleagues within the Research Support function, you will help advise upon the NHS Research Framework, and put together the "dream team" for successful grant applications, adding to East Lancashire Hospitals reputation for delivering safe, personal and effective research.
Main duties of the job
With discretion to determine their own workload, the post holder will:
- Help Trust staff and others to navigate the relevant research funding programmes, including applications
- Raise awareness of research opportunities for training and relevant funding streams etc.
- Navigate and advise upon the governance requirements to conduct research in the NHS
- facilitate the involvement of other experts for potential collaboration and review for any new study research teams e.g. statisticians, health economists,.
- proactively ensure the delivery of a comprehensive, high quality and efficient support service for our colleagues and collaborators.
We are proud that every member of our team receives a detailed induction and training package specific to their needs, experience and job role. Our dedicated research team and supportive leadership structure ensures that our staff have the skills and knowledge to care for their patients and undertake research to the highest standards.
Our management fully support the Trust ethos of compassionate leadership. We support flexible working and will consider all requests, taking into account the needs of the service. You'll have an opportunity to discuss this at interview. Employees are able to access a huge range of NHS discounts, are entitled to a minimum of 35 days paid holiday (pro rata) on appointment. There is also an on-site Gym for Trust employees & we offer a generous pension scheme.
The post holder will:
- Maintain systems to maintain oversight of research studies that that have the potential to become larger research grant submissions, at each stage of the projects development.
- Utilise existing expert knowledge and experience of clinical systems and processes to further support and inform the design stage of research proposals
- Provide advice on data and sample collection/ processing, which staff may carry out for early phase (preliminary) research studies to support future larger scale studies.
The post holder will potentially line manage co-ordinators in the support team as required.
There will be requirements to travel across all Trust sites and wider for relevant training, meetings/ networking requirements, such as to local partner Universities and other research active Trusts. A flexible approach is required as meetings are occasionally outside of typical hours.
Knowledge and Skills
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).