Band 7 Highly specialised cardiac physiologist (Electrophysiology/CRM)
North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust
This job is now closed
The Cardiology Department provides a range of invasive and non-invasive investigations to support conventional and rapid diagnostic pathways of care. These include Pacemaker/ILR implants implantation and follow-up, Coronary Angiography, EP studies and Ablation, Echocardiography (TTE, DSE and TOE), Ambulatory BP and ECG monitoring, Event Recording, technician supervised Exercise Testing and an ECG service for GP referrals. The department consists of 5 interventional and electrophysiology consultants with cath lab sessions, a team of 12 cardiac physiologists (all disciplines), 5 cardiographers and our cardiac nurses.
We are seeking an enthusiastic individual with significant experience in the field of cardiac physiology to work with other members of the Cardiology Department (under the direction of the lead cardiac physiologist) to provide the CRM & EP Service, as required by the Trust. This role has an emphasis on delivering the existing electrophysiology service and the individual will be expected to be an independent practitioner in this field. There will be opportunity to develop within the role and will be given support to further progress the servicey. The role will also have involvement in other cath lab and devices activities.
Main duties of the job
- Assist our 3 EP cardiologists in delivering the electrophysiology service with total autonomy that meets the needs of the Trust.
- To work alongside colleagues to ensure that the CRM and EP service runs smooth and efficiently.
- Line management duties
- Training and supervision of junior staff
- Stock check and management
- Participate in audit processes
North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust is a medium sized District General Hospital based in Edmonton in Enfield, North London. We serve a diverse multicultural population largely from the London boroughs of Enfield and Haringey. Many of our patients live in wards that are within the 5% most deprived in the UK and a large proportion of our patients were born abroad. This makes it both a fascinating and a challenging hospital to work in.
Over the last decade we have rebuilt almost all of the hospital and now have facilities that we are proud to work in. We employ over 3,500 staff, more than half of whom live locally. We encourage apprenticeships from the local community and work closely with our local Health Watch.
We are primarily an emergency led hospital with more than 90% of our bed days being used for patients admitted via our emergency and ambulatory units. As well as offering everything you would expect from a major acute hospital we have a number of tertiary services treating patients with HIV and Sickle Cell Disease and a large cancer and radiotherapy service. We also run our local community Sexual Health Clinics.
- Involved both in out cath lab delivery service that includes electrophysiology studies with simple ablations.
- To provide training and advice for other staff and trainees within non-invasive cardiology to help and maintain an efficient, professional and patient centered service
- To ensure adequate monitoring of patients during CRM/EP and angiography procedures.
- Assist in the delivery of remote pacing and implantable loop recorder remote clinics.
- To analyse and report investigations acting appropriately in the event of significant adverse findings.
- To treat all patients with respect and understanding and ensure the comfort and satisfaction, as far as possible, of all patients attending or communicating with the Department.
- To offer specialist advice and guidance to consultants leading the case in the field of electrophysiology.
- To be responsible for ensuring the day-to-day care and quality assurance of any equipment used.
- To have responsibility for providing letters/reports relating to CRM/EP in a timely and appropriate way.
- To keep up to date with advances in CRM and implement advances in service provision as and when appropriate.
- To ensure the area of work is clean, tidy and replenished with stock at the end of each clinical work session.
- Provide support, advice and mentorship to staff
- To provide technical / specialist support in EP and provide Medical staff with highly specialized information and advice.
- To provide technical expertise, knowledge and training to students and juniors in the fields of EP and CRM
- To provide rotas for junior members of staff
- Organizational and admin duties
- Responsible for stock management of EP stock
- Assist in tendering processes when required
- Responsibility for CRM/EP database and its validation in line with clinical governance policies
- Assist lead cardiac physiologist in ensuring all departmental policies are adhered to and are up to date
- Hold a higher specialist qualification and ensure continuous CPD to maintain it g. BHRS accreditation or IBHRE accreditation in CRM/EP.
- Attend relevant educational meeting and use of resources to maintain up to date developments.
- Maintain Registration with the Registration Council of Clinical Physiologists or equivalent.
- Attend and actively participate in monthly CRM MDT meetings.
- Attend meetings with the lead cardiac physiologist to ensure advanced planning of the service.
- Deal with patient complaints and department issue.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).