Joiner - Maintenance Craftsperson
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
The Estates and Facilities Directorate is seeking to recruit a highly motivated Joiner at the Freeman Hospital to assist with joinery programmes, minor works and day to day reactive maintenance. The joinery programme is critical to achieving a suitable patient environment for all Wards and Departments to deliver the highest level of care.
- Interview date: 12th December 2023
- 37 hours 30 minutes /week
- You will be redirected to Trac to apply for the vacancy. Please expand the job details section and read all of the information before applying for the vacancy
Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will be accountable directly to the joinery Supervisor and overall to the Estates Building Officer. The post holder will be expected to perform a wide range of duties covering all aspects of joinery maintenance applicable to the trade.
You will be required to interpret work from drawings, instructions and specifications; diagnose faults and carry out necessary repair work. In conjunction with the Joinery Supervisor you will liaise with clinical teams when carrying out work in patient areas to ensure patient safety and Infection Control is not compromised so good communication and organizational skills are paramount to being a success in this role. It is essential you have an understanding of other craftsmen's work in relation to their own discipline to provide a coherent service when carrying out both maintenance and minor work schemes.
You will have served a relevant and recognized craft apprenticeship in joinery to City and Guilds /NVQ level 3 and have relevant post-apprenticeship experience.
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of £1 billion.
We have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We're also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients 'contacts' each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve, and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people's race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups.
- To undertake planned preventative and reactive building maintenance duties, minor and major refurbishment works and manufacturing as required across all Trust properties and other areas of responsibility. Works to include:o Statutory inspection, maintenance and repair of fire resistingdoor sets and upgrade when necessary.o Design, manufacture and installation of bespoke furniture andequipment.o Maintenance and repair of fixtures, fittings and equipment.o Locksmith duties eg. Installation and repair/reconditioning ofdoor locks and furniture (inc. specialist hardware such as digitallocks, control drugs locks etc), controlled access and key cutting.o Window repairs including replacement glazingo Interpretation of technical drawings, measuring and setting outon site.o Installation of partition walls, ceilings and decorative mouldingswhich includes installation of approved fire stopping detailswhere appropriate.
- Undertake condition surveys and communicate findings and recommendations.
- Completion and processing of mandatory documentation associated with specific work tasks i.e. Fire Door and Window PPMs, Condition Surveys etc ensuring integration with the Directorates chosen Computer Aided Facilities Management System (CAFM).
- Remain aware of the direct affect and impact upon:o The environment,o Safety and comfort of patients, staff and members of the public.o Respond pro-actively as required.
- Involvement with processing documentation associated with Estates IT admin requirement.
As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement. If it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.
Please note it is a requirement of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust that all successful candidates who require a DBS for the post they have been offered pay for their DBS certificate.The method of payment is a salary deduction from your first months pay.
Qualifications & Education
Knowledge & Experience
Skills & Abilities
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).