Catering Assistant - 20 hours
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
We are looking for a part time Catering Assistant to work on our Sutton site for 20 hours per week.
Other areas of work may include supporting the catering team by helping with service and preparing/serving/cooking items for sale in; working in the restaurant and assisting in all other areas of catering services including wards, functions ; maintaining a high standard of hygiene and cleanliness throughout the kitchens and other areas of the work place. Please refer to the job descriptions for further details of this post.
This position includes working weekends and a variety of shifts both morning and evening, as required.
It would be beneficial if you have worked in a catering environment previously (but not essential), have customer care experience, organisational skills and experience of working as part of a team. It would also be beneficial if you have worked in a similar environment and in a similar role.
Main duties of the job
- Liaise on a daily basis with the patients and family members regarding meal preferences and appetite, taking into account any cultural and religious choices.
- Organisation of daily duties to meet the service demands
- Ensure that patient's have filled in their menu selections, helping where necessary.
- Collating of information off the menu orders and giving this information to the Head Chef and Patient Services Manager, admin team.
- Assist in picking and packing of cook chill food for patients.
- Ordering and receiving daily food stocks from the catering stores/kitchen ensuring appropriate stock rotation, and all wastage is kept to a minimum and recorded appropriately.
- Discuss with the nursing staff patient treatment plans in order to determine their effect on individual appetite and oral capacity.
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust is a world-leading cancer centre. Our role is to offer our patients the best cancer care available anywhere in the world, and to continue to make a global contribution to finding better ways of diagnosing and treating cancer. We employ over 4,500 staff in a diverse range of careers including nursing, medical, science, radiography, pharmacy, occupational therapy, finance and administrative services. We have two hospitals - one in Chelsea, London, and one in Sutton, Surrey - as well as a Medical Daycare Unit in Kingston Hospital.
At The Royal Marsden, we deal with cancer every day, so we understand how valuable life is. When people entrust their lives to us, they have the right to demand the very best. That's why the pursuit of excellence lies at the heart of everything we do.
At the heart of the hospital is our dedicated team. We offer a stimulating and dynamic working environment, a wide range of staff benefits, learning and development opportunities and clear career pathways. There are opportunities to work flexibly across a range of areas and specialities and we welcome flexible working requests from point of hire to support employees work life balance. We are looking for employees who aspire to excellence, share our values and can play a crucial role in our on-going achievements.
For further information on this role, please see the attached detailed Job Description and Person Specification.
- Economic and careful use of manually and mechanically operated equipment, to include knives, whisks, gravity feed slices, mincers, electric mixers, food processors, microwave and pressure steamers, observing the guidelines specified in the Health and Safety Act 1993 at all times.
- Assistance in the preparation of, and assistance with, the service of special functions as specified by the Head Chef, Sous Chef or Chef De Parties.
- Ability to observe standards of personal hygiene as specified in the Food Hygiene Regulations 1974 and the Food Safety Act 1990.
- Report any pest sightings and ensure the outer kitchen doors are kept closed at all times, to prevent pest contamination.
- Ensure all opened foodstuffs are labelled in accordance with the HACCP Food safety management Catering Plan.
- Such other duties as may be required from time to time which are consistent with the grade of the post.
- The duties of the post may be reviewed by discussion with the post-holder after a period of time to facilitate career development and to ensure that the most effective service is provided.
- All staff are expected to abide by the Catering Services departmental policies.