New Horizons Medical Partnership
The closing date is 25 February 2024
We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Phlebotomist to join our forward thinking and friendly nursing team.
The successful applicant must be prepared to work at either of our two surgery sites, Totton Health Centre or Forest Gate Surgery, both based in Totton, Southampton.
This vacancy is for 8 hours per week - Working days: Thursday AM & Friday AM.
Main duties of the job
Reporting in the first instance to the Nursing Team Staff Lead, the successful candidate for this role will hold a relevant phlebotomy qualification and be prepared to undertake further training or updates when needed (proof of training is required). Experience is essential.
You should have excellent administrative and communication skills and the ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team.
Please see the Job Description for a full list of duties and responsibilities.
We are a two-site partnership with a practice population of circa 24,000 patients.
Benefits applying to this post include: NHS Pension, 6 weeks holiday p.a. pro-rata, uniform and Simplyhealth membership (after successful completion of probationary period).
Informal practice visits are welcomed.
Closing Date: Sunday 25 February 2024 (11:59pm). Interviews are scheduled to be held week commencing: Monday 4 March 2024, however, please do not delay applying for this vacancy as some interviews may be held prior to the closing date if suitable applications are received.
The duties and responsibilities to be undertaken by members of the nursing team are varied and will differ from time to time under the direction of the Lead Clinical Practitioner / Partners / Practice Manager, dependent on current and evolving Practice workload and staffing levels:
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times
- To collect blood samples from patients as per practice policy
- To select the most appropriate equipment and method of venepuncture, based on clinical assessment of the patient
- To identify the correct patient against the blood request form
- To ensure full explanation is given to the patient prior to performing the task
- To provide assistance to all patients experiencing difficulties during and following procedures (e.g., patients feeling dizzy, sick or faint)
- To be familiar with all Standard Venesection Procedures, including control of infection (e.g., needle stick injury, disposal of sharps, blood borne viruses, using disposable gloves and tourniquets)
- To ensure 100% compliance with Infection Control and Hand Hygiene Policy at all times
- To maintain competence in Phlebotomy skills and the appropriate equipment, being aware of own limitations and seeking advice when required
- Understand the anatomy and physiology of the vein and surrounding tissues
- To recognise complications and contraindications of venepuncture
- To understand the full range of blood tests and their required sample tubes
- To competently complete sample bottles, forms and any other documentation required by the practice
This role is a part-time vacancy 8.00 hours per week - Working days: Thursday AM & Friday AM.
Other Areas of Responsibility
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).