Searching for the perfect job
There are around 350 careers in over 70 different professions available throughout the NHS - and around 20,000 vacancies appear on NHS Jobs each month. So how do you go about finding the position that is right for you? If you are clear about what you are looking for, and make the most of the search tools available, you can quickly hone in on the relevant jobs - and easily apply for them.
Your Jobs by email and quick search options are a good way to get started with your job hunting - but if you want more focused results, the advanced search lets you search using the following criteria:
- This is a simple way to start your search, looking for words in the job title only, although words like 'manager' may return many matches.
- This will search all the description text in the job advert, and can be a useful way of refining your search - especially if there are specific skills you know you want to make use of.
- How specific you are is up to you, but remember you can search around a location by choosing a radius of up to 50 miles. To suggest more than one location, separate the words with a comma, or try searching the employer list to find your local NHS employers.
- Some jobs will not indicate a salary, although information on the NHS Careers website can give you an indication of what you might expect for a particular role.
- Job type.
- This is less about the work you do, and more about contractual arrangements being offered - such as permanent, fixed term or temporary.
- Staff group.
- This is a simple way of making sure your search covers the right sphere of work, such as 'midwifery' or 'dental'.
The drop down menus alongside some of these options let you select from a list of available choices.
Search for a specific employer or Trust
Depending on your circumstances, you may want to search for vacancies available with a specific employer or Trust. If you go to the employer list, this opens up a list of all employers, either alphabetically or by region or 'strategic health authority'. Choose your region to see a list of employers, and click 'see jobs'. Remember, you can also specify an employer's name in an advanced search.
You can also now refine your search using the 'Refine your search' options on the right hand side of the search results page. This enables you to select more keywords, define or refine salary ranges or locations that will help you hone in on the closest matches to what you are looking for.
Other hints and tips for searching
- Imagine that the different search boxes are joined by an invisible 'and' - so you will only get results that answer all the criteria you submit.
- You can separate keywords with commas, which basically function as an 'or'.
- To search for an exact phrase, surround the keywords with "quote marks".
- If you don't want to specify too much, it is fine to leave a box blank. Do not confuse the search by writing 'don't care' or 'N/A'.
Remember, if you want to find out more about the different jobs available in the NHS, and what kind of skills and attributes you need to do them, visit the NHS Careers website.